Thursday, October 12, 2006

361: NPR likes Deaf people


This is the news from NPR:
Morning Edition, October 11, 2006 · Drivers for UPS won a round in court Tuesday when a federal appeals court ruled that the shipping company could not bar the deaf and hearing-impaired from driving delivery trucks.
ALRIGHT! I'm sure Ridor's all excited about the hot Deaf truckers already.
And just a reminder: I King Jordan will be on NPR today in a captioned discussion of some kind (I wonder why he doesn't just use SimCom on TV?) And if you want to see how much of an impact has been made by Gallaudet protestors, check this list. But please note that one clear problem is there: the protestors have no message. You guys need a slogan or something. Fernandes is already using "Hell no! I won't go!" Not unless she collects $2 million, any way, as Nathan Kester reports.

I just heard Robert Loeffler was fired from Ridor. I do not know him but he is an interpreter who complained about the Administration opposing the GIS working with protesters. If this is really about money, I hope the people at the top think long and hard about what they're doing to the ties between the Deaf community and its allies. Jordan said yesterday that he cares about the students...

Of course it's about money. What am I saying? It's always about money. Lesson Number One, Deaf Readers, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FUNDS.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's this thing where you can stitch beads onto canvas, fabric, leather, anything. howsabout i stitch "$2MILLION" onto JKF's tough old hide? i figure she can't bleed, though i'm mindful that i may end up going through $2M worth of needles working through such shriveled jerky. she's worth every penny.

THIS IS NOT A HIT. I AM NOT BEING PAID. THIS IS MERELY A HUMOROUS EXPRESSION OF DEEP DISTASTE. THIS IS ALSO JOHN GOTTI'S FAILED DISCLAIMER.

Anonymous said...

Why the objection to a captioned discussion? I appreciate it. I wouldn't be able to follow a simcom.

I'm still agog, really. I expect hearies to be completely ignorant/whatever and fail to caption audio unless I/we complain. I've dealt with that crap all my life. But I feel betrayed by deafies who don't see the need for subtitling sign language.

I know I come across as bitter and hostile, when normally I am a very sweet sort of person. It's just that this is too much. I expected far better from other deaf people. Maybe that was unrealistic, but there you go.

--Deaf Gadfly

JRS said...

I think you misunderstood my comment...

I do appreciate a captioned discussion - first time NPR did it to my knowledge! But is radio really the best format for someone who represents Deaf people? Of course any video would be captioned so hearing people could follow along and participate.

However, remember Jordan is a big fan of "simcom" - a bastardized form of English and ASL which often doesn't make very much sense as people drop words from one language to use in another. I was making the point that while he thinks this is ok to use with Deaf people, he would NOT use this form of communication with hearing people. He speaks - and we get closed captioning. He could sign and we could caption that, but he's not going to do that.

diber said...

NPR's Talk of the Nation also featured the Gallaudet protest and Deaf culture today.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch all of it, but I heard some good comments from callers-in.

Anonymous said...

Radio? You're right, that's nonsensical. Duh, wasn't looking closely at "NPR" so much.

There must be some sort of visual broadcast, though, to caption it?? *scratches head*

Anyway, I don't care if IJK signs [whatever], speaks, or juggles pineapples, I'll still want it captioned *grin*.

He cancelled it anyway, IIRC.